Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Which Bottle of Wine Was it?



It was late and I struggle to recall which

number bottle of wine we were on, but

I said something and it came out like

"Strawberry, I love you, you can't keep falling"

only it was slurred and 'Strawberry' was all wrong.


After a minute you looked at me with halos

in your eyes and a pitchfork between your teeth

"I'll hold on, for you Poetry, because you gave me

hope when I had nothing but despair to offer up in turn."


And in that moment, I knew, even in my drunken bliss

that this was meant to be, Strawberry loves her Poetry

both for addiction's sake and a heart to call home.

Just as Poetry promised to live up to her name

for Strawberry's sake - as a way of saying that

hope's always here. Because it was late and I


struggle to recall which number bottle of wine

we were on, but something clicked right then

and we weren't meant to think clearly that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment