Sunday, August 26, 2018

Even From Afar



I stayed up all night listening to you pour your heart out

across a million wires and 1,600 miles; Sleep begged to

take me, she pulled gently and she tugged with more force

but nothing worked.  Finally, our means of communication crashed

and she won her way in a manner of speaking, dreams

came flooding in easily and pains of all kinds melted away.


Once Sleep had taken me back to my wanna be home,

my only lifelong, truly impenetrable fortress, I saw us

in a living room talking. I was leaning against the wall

you were sitting on the couch, the words were coming

smoothly and each sound made me feel more at bliss.


"I'm so glad you're finally here, Baby" and 'It's great to

be able to hold you whenever we want now" followed by

"I love you"s and "You're beautiful"s filled the room as

I sat down beside you, gently laying my head on your chest

your heartbeat was the most lovely rhythm I've heard

and that layered so delicately with your breathing - steady

and calming created the best lullaby I have ever known.


Then the others joined us and a movie came on, there were

human pillows and breathing stuffed animals. No one was alone

no matter how they felt, that's just the way our crooked little

group of love and insanity is. So this afternoon when I awoke

to the sounds of water running and the dryer coming on,

to the reality of living with a mother and teenage brother

there was still a smile not quite perfect, but beautiful enough

to put the sun to shame in your eyes. I know you're busy today

and you probably won't find this for a while, but I thought

you should know just what you do to me - even now from so far.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment