Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Up Past Bedtime



Because there are times when dreams burst and ideas

flow. Everybody has those moments of pure energy and

willingness to plan their next move in full detail or to document

their most secret wishes. And there are days (and nights)

that Sleep couldn't be any more welcome, just as there are some

meant for starling rants and midnight contemplation conversations.


You aren't my 3 am artist for nothing, Sweetheart,

I've already come to terms with the fact you will

wake me up as you noisily fumble to the kitchen

for coffee then by the time I make my way from the

safety and warmth of our bed I'll find you at the table

covered in ink, pen in hand and the wastebasket

in the corner overflowing (with each new balled strand

of words the soft hair at the back of your head

get more tangled than it was before). I've befriended

your "gorgeous model" your "most stunning muse"


and cast all the fears as far away as possible. Because

part of creation is the madness that ensued in order

to make art possible. Don't worry, Hun, I understand.


I just hope you know that there will be times when

you will wake to find an empty bed, the tea kettle whistling,

paint and glitter in the living room, and the piano

against the window playing itself again. Because you

know me better than anyone else, you should know

I am most productive, most inspired when the rest of the world

is sleeping completely unaware of anything that could

be happening right beneath their very noses.

No comments:

Post a Comment