Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Strawberry Short-Cake



I'd tell you that strawberry shortcake is my favorite sweet treat,

but it's related to midnight games of memory while mommy

was on valium for her pain and he was supposed to be just

"helping out" around the house for a few days.


And if you were anyone else I might say that it's fried bananas

with ice cream and chocolate sauce but that takes me back to

the time we danced in black and purple in front of the whole school

I wasn't even attending - it reminds me that our dates stole each other.


Or maybe I would pick icees and skittles because of the way

we battled summer heat in the south as we walked out on

everything that made our young hearts so angry only to find

ourselves making out in the park by the pond.


But every time a waiter asks me if I'm interested in dessert

for that evening, I have to shake my sorrowful eyes no

and ask for the bill instead. I'd rather go without sweets

than cry more than I have to in public places.

No comments:

Post a Comment