Saturday, October 20, 2018

When I lie to You



I am a compulsive liar.


Not because I want to hurt people

or for the glory of bloody hands,

but because I am an artist and

I have witnessed far too many things

to remember which were done to me


and which were to others.


I am a compulsive liar.


Don't trust a word I say because

sometimes I go into coffee shops

and use names I've never owned

or pretend I'm from places I've never been


because there are days when

I can't remember who I am

or which cities I've lived in.


All I can say for sure is that I have

called nearly 50 different things home

including a car, a friend's backyard,

and even a school; I am a compulsive liar


but I know I'm a female poet


with far too many stories and voices

floating around inside my veins.

So please don't be upset with me

when you ask me how I am and

it takes me longer than a minute to respond -


I am a compulsive liar


and I hate the way I feel when

I lie to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment