Saturday, June 29, 2019

The Tides Turned



You never used to be so poetic,

words weren't ever your strong suit at all

but neither were numbers spelled out

in equations. Romanticism was never

your friend and the way we always stayed

in made me feel like you were ashamed of me -


like I was an embarrassment of a lover.

So I broke myself down and I lied,

I tore you to shreds and I ran away

long before you had the sense to call

an ambulance. I didn't realize that

our love made you so unstable,

and how could I when you were


never even there?


So don't let my return

drag your heart up

to the shore from

the furthest,

darkest depths


if you're going to take that as

false hope and try to steal

someone else's chance at happiness.


Maybe we both made mistakes,

but there was a reason I left and

you stayed in that world you createdin your head.

No comments:

Post a Comment