Thursday, February 7, 2019

The Great One



Today I've fallen in love with forget-me-nots,

with the sound of words like "come home"

"please" and "I miss your smile", with

warm sheets and you in my bed beside me.


I've fallen in love with the daisy, a tie-dyed eye,

and forgotten songs. The whole city is a cloud

in the middle of the sky and they're asking to

search my backpack at the bus station

because my face is red and my words seem shy.


So I throw my cash at them and turn away.

I've fallen in love with the lonely arms of

the crosswalks, open and wide, and the curve

of the road promising to take me anywhere but home.

I've always wanted to be in love, I just didn't know how,

like someone else bringing joy could be

the only solid enough reason for anything at all.


Where the cars sigh with each mile they get

farther from home and the moon hangs so low

clinging so desperately onto the stars at her side.

And we're keeping our silhouettes as clean

as we can as we sit quietly together

breathing in the vast world beneath

that great big ebony sky.


Until the day comes when the clap of thunder

no longer scares us in our sleep and wakes

us from our nice warm dreams.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment