Saturday, December 2, 2017

Just as Sad as Before


It's been a year to the day,
I didn't really know you well -

but for the brief time you were here
you were family and friend all in one.

I missed your funeral, and for that
I am incredibly sorry, but I was there

to see your body lying on the living room floor,
to watch the family gather around and pray,

I've never been religious or understood
the many cultures of my new home, but

for you, I made an exception, I dove
head first into a sea of sobbing Cubans

and wept more for you than for my own blood,
you are even worthy of a run on sentence poem -

anyway, I just wanted to say it's been a year
and you're not forgotten or missed any less today

than before, I hope you're well
wherever you've made your new home.

Maybe someday I'll catch you
on the rings of Saturn playing hopscotch

or drinking espresso on the moon
with all the family to go before you.

No comments:

Post a Comment